Skip to main content

The dreaded social bit

Promoting your book - part three: Social Media

I took part in an online discusssion around about the time I was starting to seriously seek agents about whether an aspiring author should have an online presence, or could that wait until a book had come out. The perceived wisdom was that a website and at least one strong social media platform was the least someone should set up.

Up until then, I had an aversion to all things social media. I'm a reasonably private person, I don't do lots of exciting whizzy-bang things - I had little to write about. But I held my nose, did some research and decided to dive into the whirl of Twitter. I held out on Facebook a little longer but bit that bullet a year or so ago, and I joined Goodreads when Abendau's Heir came out. I don't have a shared platform - I tweet and facebook differently and think it's more effective to do so, but many would disagree with that.

So, the pros and cons:

TWITTER

I find Twitter great for links and for quick shout outs. It's a fast moving platform, is easier to have a conversation on and can draw in more participants and be easy to follow. I like it for discussions, for multiple panel talks (#askagent is one such and it's always fun to watch - even when I had an agent).

Hashtags are your friends on Twitter. #bookboost, for instance, will retweet book related posts. With hashtags, retweets happen more often and, also, your post finds its right audience.

As with everything, a wall of buy-my-book tweets aren't the way to go. Over the last four days I've tweeted a link to Culture NI's* writers to follow (there I am!), my local rag's feature about me, a photo of my first best seller list, a comment about the carpark at the Top Gear show, favourited some posts, and done a few buy-my-books tweets. I think it's important to keep things fresh, to try to have something new up as often as possible. I also try to put up pictures - they draw more attention and break up the boring info-stream.

I also, and I know this will sound sad, search for myself and the book once a day. But, often, people have been kind enough to mention things and I like to be polite and say thanks (sometimes just with a favourite.) But, also, sometimes it's an opportunity for a retweet.

On retweeting - leave some time between the first tweet and the retweet and you'll hit a different thread of people. And then favourite a wee while later, and it's out again, and you don't irk your followers with a wall of same posts.

* I came across their call for debut authors because someone else on Twitter saw it and tagged me to the post. Twitter is great for that - linking events. And a follower who is kind enough to do that is a great support.

FACEBOOK

I get on well with Facebook these days. It took a while. But I have a nice mix of family and writerly types and I keep that list much smaller than on Twitter. There's probably more of the personal me on Facebook.

I also have a page for my book. It's useful because I don't have to bombard my family with book related stuff, but limited because unless I pay for it, not everyone following the page sees the posts I put up.

I like that I can put more information in the posts. I can show more humour. I like that when you type in a web link and wait a few moments a nice link to that comes up and looks nice and professional (and you can then delete the typed link.)
Of the two, however, to date I get more hits on Twitter for promo stuff than Facebook, but more visibility in general from Facebook.


As I said above, I also use Goodreads. I like the review platform it offers. I also ran a giveaway which was a great success in bringing the book to people's attention and multiplied the people planning to read the book tenfold. I plan to run another in a wee while - I'll see then if a second hit has more/less or the same impact.

So, did I need a platform? It has helped a lot, to be already established, to have followers who knew a little about me and who knew it wasn't just about the book. In general, I'd say yes to the aspiring writer thinking of starting something - and I think the advice to establish a single good platform rather than have two or three at the start is good advice. But be warned - it is time consuming. And the times when hits are good are the times when people are chilling and surfing, when you'll want to be having a mid-morning Sunday cuppa and not sticking up another tweet. But it does pay back and, if used with other platforms like communities (oh, and Facebook groups are great mini-communities) can be really effective.

Go forth and be sociable!

Comments

Claudine G. said…
Hi JoZeb,

I was reluctant in joining social media at first but have now found it very useful: getting connected with fellow writers, reviewers, and readers. I love Goodreads, Pinterest and Twitter (for blog/article links). Still very self-conscious on FB though ...
Joanne Zebedee said…
I found Facebook hard but find the groups in it quite good fun and a little less exposing, in a way. I've done a few
pinterest boards but never fully explored it as a network. And yes, twitter is great for linking and the speed it shares trending things.
Carissa Taylor said…
So funny. I'm doing a similar social media series on my blog too! I'm with you on Twitter. It's such a great place to network with other writers. I am a super-newbie to Facebook Pages. So much so that I haven't even advertised it to anyone yet. Would love any tips you have!

I only recently realized the immense value of using Buffer to schedule/space out retweets. Holy night, that's been a huge timesaver!
Joanne Zebedee said…
Buffer looks good, thank you!

The Facebook page is good - I can gather info in one place. But it doesn't send posts out to everyone who likes it so the promo value of it is a little limited. Actually, I find the groups function of facebook more useful - hitting into some that are into your kind of thing means you can have a conversation and be a person, which makes it all a lot more human.
Thanks for the info! I'm just biting the social media bullet myself, and it's useful to hear from others who've just navigated the same waters. :)
Joanne Zebedee said…
It is daunting at first, but does get easier, I think. Now, checking twitter and facebook is second nature to me. I am a bit lazy about timeline checking, though, especially on twitter and tend to look via lists and hashtag searches. Sometimes it's the only way to retain sanity!

Popular posts from this blog

A NATURAL HISTORY OF GOBLINS - a guest blog by Teresa Edgerton

Some fantasy writers like to write about elves, others prefer werewolves, vampires, or zombies. I have a penchant for goblins.

In folklore, the word "goblin" has been applied in myriad ways. A goblin might be a mischievous sprite like Puck, a hideous, vengeful ghost, or even a beneficient house spirit such as a brownie. Sometimes it was used as a synonym for fairy, sometimes applied to a separate race: small, ugly, and malicious. I've taken advantage of this ambiguity, and in each series of books I've written where goblins appear, I've reinvented them.

In the second Celydonn series (sequels to The Green Lion Trilogy) they are fuathan, bad fairies if you will. I like writing about fairies. Even the best of them are not nice; they are not benevolent. On occasion they may be extravagently generous. Grateful for small favors, they return them with magnificent gifts and spectacular rewards. But you cannot trust them. Their morality is not our morality, their laws…

Getting hearts racing, an interview with fantasy-romance novelist Suzanne Jackson

Today I'm chatting with Suzanne Jackson, whose debut novel has been picked up by Venus Ascending, a new fantasy/sci-fi romance imprint headed up by Teresa Edgerton. I'm lucky enough to be a critique partner of Sue's, and can confirm that this book is something special with a great, unique world, sumptuous writing, a fantastic female lead, and the so-bad-he's-irresistible Nicholas Jarrett.
So I thought I'd be the first to nab the elusive Suzanne and find out what makes her - and her world - tick.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Firstly, tell us a little about your world, and how you've managed to marry fantasy with romance?


Hi, Jo. Thank you for inviting me onto your blog for my very first interview. I’m thrilled to be able to talk a little bit about my book and characters.
The Beguiler is set in a fantasy world similar in many ways to Georgian England. Many people are superstitious, with goo…

What happens at the John Hewitt Summer School....

...stays at the John Hewitt Summer School. Mostly.

Rarely do I feel daunted when tackling a blog post but for this one I want to both capture the experience - warts (however few) and all - for others thinking of such an experience, and also try to put into words how the week has got me thinking about my writing and reflecting on lots of things. But anyway, nothing ventured etc etc, here goes.

Firstly, why on Earth did this little sff writer pop off to a literary festival for a week - apart from the small matter of the generosity of the John Hewitt Society in granting me a bursary. I could cite lots of things, like that I have a degree in humanties (I do - theatre and english), or that I do, actually, read the odd poem (MacNeice, Longley and Years are favourites as well as, added this week, Jane Yeh), or even that I've written a fairly literary fantasy book ( I have - coming in 2017.) But that's all just part of why I wanted to go. I also struggle to see why genre writing shoul…