Skip to main content

Mailing lists - and why you might want one.



 
I’m not techy. Like, I’m really, really not techy. I use a very old computer on Windows Vista, can’t get on with Schrivener at all and whimper to the ever-patient Gary Compton when things like my website don’t work.

For that reason, I’ve steered clear of a mailing list until now. Because it’s, like, hard. But I’ve bitten the bullet and started one properly.

What will I put on it? Well, not things like go into this blog – it’s a different place for different musings. It's not the place to be putting up promo posts and what not – that’s never been what I’ve tried to do.

The newsletter will work alongside the blog. I’ll be putting things in like launch events, and announcements. I’m working on completing some short stories which will go up from time to time and will be exclusive to subscribers. Early notifications and offers on my books will pop up.

The why is easy. I, like most writers, have platforms all over the place. I have twitter followers and facebook friends, blog readers and book readers. I’m on Goodreads, on forums, in facebook groups. I am, honestly, all over the place.

Which means when I release books I put up a post here, and a post there, and mention it in lots of places – and still those who like my writing might not see it. Since I have a lot coming out in the next few months (sticks out tongue and counts on fingers, I'm also not maths-y – I think I have five releases in various shapes and forms coming up) it makes sense to have a single platform where I can pop the news up.

(The news element will also appear in my normal platforms – what won’t will be the exclusive content.)

I also like the idea of giving back – that’s always been what this blog, for instance, is about – so having a platform where I can write something I like and give it out appeals.

If anyone wants to join up, the link is here:http://jozebedee.com/newsletter/

The first 15 new subscribers bag themselves a free ebook of Inish Carraig!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A NATURAL HISTORY OF GOBLINS - a guest blog by Teresa Edgerton

Some fantasy writers like to write about elves, others prefer werewolves, vampires, or zombies. I have a penchant for goblins.

In folklore, the word "goblin" has been applied in myriad ways. A goblin might be a mischievous sprite like Puck, a hideous, vengeful ghost, or even a beneficient house spirit such as a brownie. Sometimes it was used as a synonym for fairy, sometimes applied to a separate race: small, ugly, and malicious. I've taken advantage of this ambiguity, and in each series of books I've written where goblins appear, I've reinvented them.

In the second Celydonn series (sequels to The Green Lion Trilogy) they are fuathan, bad fairies if you will. I like writing about fairies. Even the best of them are not nice; they are not benevolent. On occasion they may be extravagently generous. Grateful for small favors, they return them with magnificent gifts and spectacular rewards. But you cannot trust them. Their morality is not our morality, their laws…

Getting hearts racing, an interview with fantasy-romance novelist Suzanne Jackson

Today I'm chatting with Suzanne Jackson, whose debut novel has been picked up by Venus Ascending, a new fantasy/sci-fi romance imprint headed up by Teresa Edgerton. I'm lucky enough to be a critique partner of Sue's, and can confirm that this book is something special with a great, unique world, sumptuous writing, a fantastic female lead, and the so-bad-he's-irresistible Nicholas Jarrett.
So I thought I'd be the first to nab the elusive Suzanne and find out what makes her - and her world - tick.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Firstly, tell us a little about your world, and how you've managed to marry fantasy with romance?


Hi, Jo. Thank you for inviting me onto your blog for my very first interview. I’m thrilled to be able to talk a little bit about my book and characters.
The Beguiler is set in a fantasy world similar in many ways to Georgian England. Many people are superstitious, with goo…

What happens at the John Hewitt Summer School....

...stays at the John Hewitt Summer School. Mostly.

Rarely do I feel daunted when tackling a blog post but for this one I want to both capture the experience - warts (however few) and all - for others thinking of such an experience, and also try to put into words how the week has got me thinking about my writing and reflecting on lots of things. But anyway, nothing ventured etc etc, here goes.

Firstly, why on Earth did this little sff writer pop off to a literary festival for a week - apart from the small matter of the generosity of the John Hewitt Society in granting me a bursary. I could cite lots of things, like that I have a degree in humanties (I do - theatre and english), or that I do, actually, read the odd poem (MacNeice, Longley and Years are favourites as well as, added this week, Jane Yeh), or even that I've written a fairly literary fantasy book ( I have - coming in 2017.) But that's all just part of why I wanted to go. I also struggle to see why genre writing shoul…