Skip to main content

TAKING A BREAK

I've been something of a writing machine these last few years, and I have a heavy summer ahead of me, editing two books, undertaking exciting opportunities - more when I can - and promoting some cool anthologies I'm in (have a scroll to the end of the post). I've been invited onto three new anthos, all of which need a short story. I've just sold the audio rights of Inish Carraig to Garcomm Media, and that will take a bit of proofing and what not.

All of this is fantastic, amazing, and near to the dream.

I also have a busy job which, in June, goes a bit crazy.So far, there is only one of me. Cloning technology is sadly behind the times.Which means, there is truly only so far I can stretch. Since I'm also fitting a holiday in there, one where I don't want to be a frazzled bundle of nerves, something has to give.

Which means I'm not writing for a few weeks - and certainly not committing to anything regular. It will do me a lot of good. Already, ideas are rushing at me for things I'd like to get to. I might blog - or I might not. I might be lazy and see if a few guest blogs can fit in around.

Come the middle of July, I'm starting up again. Firstly, with an edit of Waters and the Wild, coming out in 2017 with Inspired Quill, then Abendau's Legacy, coming out this autumn. After, and in between, and whereever they'll fit into the scheldule the short stories. I hope to hit the late autumn with a reasonably clear writing in tray (although I'll be promoting Legacy) and room to develop a new story. Knowing me, lots of other things will pile in, and then I'll be busy and challenged and frazzled all over again.

That's really it. Taking a break. I think I'm probably due one. 

In the meantime, I'm over on twitter@joz1812 and on and off the sffchronicles.com, as ever.


And - check out these anthologies. I'm delighted to be involved with each of them.

http://www.woodbridgepress.ca/

http://www.newconpress.co.uk/info/book.asp?id=71&referer=Hp

http://www.ticketyboopress.co.uk/space/ (which is due out in October, to give a chance for a few late subs to go into it.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A NATURAL HISTORY OF GOBLINS - a guest blog by Teresa Edgerton

Some fantasy writers like to write about elves, others prefer werewolves, vampires, or zombies. I have a penchant for goblins.

In folklore, the word "goblin" has been applied in myriad ways. A goblin might be a mischievous sprite like Puck, a hideous, vengeful ghost, or even a beneficient house spirit such as a brownie. Sometimes it was used as a synonym for fairy, sometimes applied to a separate race: small, ugly, and malicious. I've taken advantage of this ambiguity, and in each series of books I've written where goblins appear, I've reinvented them.

In the second Celydonn series (sequels to The Green Lion Trilogy) they are fuathan, bad fairies if you will. I like writing about fairies. Even the best of them are not nice; they are not benevolent. On occasion they may be extravagently generous. Grateful for small favors, they return them with magnificent gifts and spectacular rewards. But you cannot trust them. Their morality is not our morality, their laws…

Getting hearts racing, an interview with fantasy-romance novelist Suzanne Jackson

Today I'm chatting with Suzanne Jackson, whose debut novel has been picked up by Venus Ascending, a new fantasy/sci-fi romance imprint headed up by Teresa Edgerton. I'm lucky enough to be a critique partner of Sue's, and can confirm that this book is something special with a great, unique world, sumptuous writing, a fantastic female lead, and the so-bad-he's-irresistible Nicholas Jarrett.
So I thought I'd be the first to nab the elusive Suzanne and find out what makes her - and her world - tick.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Firstly, tell us a little about your world, and how you've managed to marry fantasy with romance?


Hi, Jo. Thank you for inviting me onto your blog for my very first interview. I’m thrilled to be able to talk a little bit about my book and characters.
The Beguiler is set in a fantasy world similar in many ways to Georgian England. Many people are superstitious, with goo…

What happens at the John Hewitt Summer School....

...stays at the John Hewitt Summer School. Mostly.

Rarely do I feel daunted when tackling a blog post but for this one I want to both capture the experience - warts (however few) and all - for others thinking of such an experience, and also try to put into words how the week has got me thinking about my writing and reflecting on lots of things. But anyway, nothing ventured etc etc, here goes.

Firstly, why on Earth did this little sff writer pop off to a literary festival for a week - apart from the small matter of the generosity of the John Hewitt Society in granting me a bursary. I could cite lots of things, like that I have a degree in humanties (I do - theatre and english), or that I do, actually, read the odd poem (MacNeice, Longley and Years are favourites as well as, added this week, Jane Yeh), or even that I've written a fairly literary fantasy book ( I have - coming in 2017.) But that's all just part of why I wanted to go. I also struggle to see why genre writing shoul…