Skip to main content

How I got my agent



I began querying my second completed novel with a good idea of the process - my first novel had got some interest and a few offers from small publishers, but had ended up tied up in an open submissions window - and I was under no illusions how hard getting an agent would be.

The novel had two strong point of views in it - John, a teenager from Belfast, and Henry, the cop who gets tied up in his life - and I decided to market it as cross-over YA/adult.

When I read on Twitter that Molly Ker Hawn, of the Bent Agency, had re-opened to queries I checked her guidelines, which asked that I include why I was the person to tell the story. That opened something untapped within me, about how I'd wanted to capture my native Ulster voices and use them in a mainstream novel, not focused on religion, politics and cliches, but rather on resilience and black humour. I drafted the query without my usual angst and sent it off. A couple of days later Molly requested a full and, after I did a dance, I sent it. 

Four weeks later I had my response - the book didn't read as YA but adult. I really liked Molly's approach - and well-considered feedback - and asked if she'd re-read it if I made it more centred in the YA storyline, and she kindly said she would. 

In the meantime, I subbed to other agents, but when three adult-focused agents who'd shown interest refused it as too YA I was left with a dilemma in terms of where to take the book. 

I went back to my beta-readers, and an editor who had reviewed it before submission, and discussed options to make it one age-group or the other. When I'd envisioned the book the theme had been about innocence, and if I made the protagonist adult that was lost, so I decided to focus on the YA themes.

I rewrote the book, removing some of the adult pov and strengthening the teenage protagonist and sent it back to Molly, very nervously. The read took a little longer this time and my hopes were raised when I heard it was getting a second read. 

The response came back as an Revise and Resubmit, with extensive notes. I felt I'd rushed the last rewrite a little and was delighted at another chance, but I wanted to get it right. I was lucky: when I shared feedback with the small group of betas who'd read the first version, and whose opinion I absolutely respect, one offered another full read through. After his feedback, I sent it back and waited. 

I knew Molly was attending the World Fantasy Convention in Brighton, as was I, and hoped we might meet up. Unfortunately my Twitter app died en route, and I turned down a friend's offer to access via his. Boy did I kick myself when I got home and found that Molly had DMed me to see if we could meet at WFC in person. 

A few days later, Molly contacted me and set up a call. I found myself, late on a Friday afternoon, sitting in my darkened kitchen waiting for the phone to ring. The kids were bribed with biscuits and the house was quiet as I listened to feedback that asked for a revision. My heart fell, sure it was another R and R. 

But no - I was offered representation. I stared at the notes I'd been taking, trying to take it in, and arranged to contact other agents holding the novel. I let my writing group, who'd been with me at WFC, know - they bemoaned the lack of a great celebratory opportunity! Six days later I had heard back from the other agents - who would have had to offer the Earth to change my mind - and was in the position to accept rep from Molly. I'm still occasionally pinching myself.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A NATURAL HISTORY OF GOBLINS - a guest blog by Teresa Edgerton

Some fantasy writers like to write about elves, others prefer werewolves, vampires, or zombies. I have a penchant for goblins.

In folklore, the word "goblin" has been applied in myriad ways. A goblin might be a mischievous sprite like Puck, a hideous, vengeful ghost, or even a beneficient house spirit such as a brownie. Sometimes it was used as a synonym for fairy, sometimes applied to a separate race: small, ugly, and malicious. I've taken advantage of this ambiguity, and in each series of books I've written where goblins appear, I've reinvented them.

In the second Celydonn series (sequels to The Green Lion Trilogy) they are fuathan, bad fairies if you will. I like writing about fairies. Even the best of them are not nice; they are not benevolent. On occasion they may be extravagently generous. Grateful for small favors, they return them with magnificent gifts and spectacular rewards. But you cannot trust them. Their morality is not our morality, their laws…

Getting hearts racing, an interview with fantasy-romance novelist Suzanne Jackson

Today I'm chatting with Suzanne Jackson, whose debut novel has been picked up by Venus Ascending, a new fantasy/sci-fi romance imprint headed up by Teresa Edgerton. I'm lucky enough to be a critique partner of Sue's, and can confirm that this book is something special with a great, unique world, sumptuous writing, a fantastic female lead, and the so-bad-he's-irresistible Nicholas Jarrett.
So I thought I'd be the first to nab the elusive Suzanne and find out what makes her - and her world - tick.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Firstly, tell us a little about your world, and how you've managed to marry fantasy with romance?


Hi, Jo. Thank you for inviting me onto your blog for my very first interview. I’m thrilled to be able to talk a little bit about my book and characters.
The Beguiler is set in a fantasy world similar in many ways to Georgian England. Many people are superstitious, with goo…

What happens at the John Hewitt Summer School....

...stays at the John Hewitt Summer School. Mostly.

Rarely do I feel daunted when tackling a blog post but for this one I want to both capture the experience - warts (however few) and all - for others thinking of such an experience, and also try to put into words how the week has got me thinking about my writing and reflecting on lots of things. But anyway, nothing ventured etc etc, here goes.

Firstly, why on Earth did this little sff writer pop off to a literary festival for a week - apart from the small matter of the generosity of the John Hewitt Society in granting me a bursary. I could cite lots of things, like that I have a degree in humanties (I do - theatre and english), or that I do, actually, read the odd poem (MacNeice, Longley and Years are favourites as well as, added this week, Jane Yeh), or even that I've written a fairly literary fantasy book ( I have - coming in 2017.) But that's all just part of why I wanted to go. I also struggle to see why genre writing shoul…